On this latest installment of his monthly NTS 2 show, Roger Bong digs deep into his extensive collection to deliver rare archival oddities and uncovered gems direct from the islands, including a handful of forthcoming releases from the Aloha Got Soul label.
“When piecing this month’s show together, I gravitated toward the song ‘Dreary Afternoon’ by John Ka‘imikaua. The sound and feel of ‘Dreary Afternoon’ informed the rest of my set.” This particular song comes from an early 2000s CD released by Hula Records that features several original compositions from the Moloka‘i musician and Kumu hula. The song is available on digital platforms like Spotify and Apple Music but was only ever released physically on a compact disc.
“In Honolulu, we’ve been having intense storms lately so I’ve spent most of last week indoors listening to the sounds of rain and thunder. Of course, it being Hawaii, the sky would break open into a bright blue canvas at least once a day. These feelings and contemplations inspired this set.”
Across his expansive 60-minute set, the Honolulu-based selector connects the dots between classic Hawaiian, reggae, rock, funk, jazz, soul, and beyond featuring standout selections from Mackey Feary Band, Pahoehoe, Nicadrio Lee, Eddie Kū, and more.
Dive into his eclectic mix now and view the full tracklist below.
- Island Band - Pacific Moonrise (New Groove Interlude)
- Sp0hc - Memory
- Mike Kahikina - I Am A Native
- Eddie Kū - Mele Inoa ‘O Ku
- John Ka‘imikaua - Dreary Afternoon
- Likkle Jordee - Can’t Afford To Stop
- Maurice Bega - You Are The Vision
- Nicadrio Lee - Eviction
- Pahoehoe - unknown
- Randy Lorenzo - Painful Hearts
- Eddie Suzuki - Beauty Near Hanalei
- Gordon Broad - Time Has Changed
- Mackey Feary Band - My Hands Do Play
- Ernie Cruz, Jr. - Ka Makani
- Andrew Molina - Chance Encounter
- Da Krank - Wot!
- Da Krank - Can I Speak To Joe
- Dennis Soares - Anybody Home
- Da Krank - Donation III