March 22: Listening session from Roger Bong’s home
- 9pm - midnight // (broadcast only via www.redlightradio.net)
- Featuring rare vinyl selections from Soul Time In Hawaii DJs Roger Bong, Oliver Seguin, and Hideki Yamamoto.
March 23: Hungry Ear in-store listening session
- 12pm - 6pm // Hungry Ear Records, 2615 S King Street
- Featuring 6+ local DJs across a variety of genres
- Including Hawaii Public Radio's DJ Mr. Nick and Ooklah The Moc's Ryan "Jah Gumby" Murakami
March 24: Artist forum at Red Bull Hawaii
- 4 - 6pm // Red Bull Hawaii, 36 N. Hotel Street
- "Talk story" session with local musicians Mike Lundy and Kit Ebersbach, along with international DJs Danny McLewin and Cedric Bardawil
March 25: Strut Records Compilation Release Party
- 6 - 9pm // James After Beach Club, 3045 Monsarrat Ave.
- Featuring the new 'Aloha Got Soul' compilation on Strut Records
- Compilation includes 16 rare Hawaiian soul, disco, and R&B tracks from Lemuria, Nohelani Cypriano, Brother Noland, Hal Bradbury, Chucky Boy Chock, and more.
March 26: Soul Time In Hawaii, Two Year Anniversary
- 4pm - 2am // Bevy, 661 Auahi Street
- Mike Lundy LIVE! — First full band performance in 27 years
- Danny McLewin of Psychemagik (London)
- Soul Time in London's Cedric Bardawil
- Soul Time In Chicago's Sol Son
- And the Soul Time In Hawaii residents
In March 2014, Aloha Got Soul hosted a dual-city party in London and Honolulu. We called it Soul Time In Hawaii, and since then we've been hosting it every month in Honolulu, London, and Chicago. You might remember the mix we created for the party:
Now it's 2016, and we're celebrating the two year anniversary of Soul Time with a week of special events in Honolulu. Our friends from Chicago and London are flying to town to help host the events. We're also welcoming Amsterdam's Red Light Radio to Hawaii for their first time to broadcast each event live.
Here's what's happening March 22nd - 26th: