Here’s a quick overview of what I took away from the 2011 Na Hoku Hanohano awards festival.
- Kalapana performing “Naturally” live as the recipients of a Lifetime Achievement Award (just magnificent!).
- Touch of Gold. A Hawaiian Philly Motown Soul-style vocal group with a touch of, well, gold.
- Resonating quotes from presenters and award-winners
- Photos, photos, photos
- Bob Dylan, Slack Key and … Tender Leaf?
- Ernie Cruz Jr. live and direct via Na Hoku workshops
These are some of the ideas floating around in my head after spending the past two days experience the Hokus and its new Mele Mei month of music (in its second year now). Stay tuned to Aloha Got Soul—a different kind of Hawaiian music blog!
What is the Na Hoku Awards Festival?
A few words from disc jockey Krash Kealoha: